Family Law


Few events in life can be more difficult than being in a bad marriage. Everyone is affected, the couple, the children, and the extended family. Everyone is invested in the relationship, and everyone struggles with the growing sense of loss in many different ways. Helping clients through this process can be some of the most challenging and also most rewarding work an attorney is ever asked to do.

Family law develops over time. It attempts to reflect society values and shape the way people treat one another during marriage and after a marriage has ended. Family law attorneys assist people in many ways. They can help craft prenuptial agreements prior to marriage. During the marriage they can provide counsel and if safety issues arise, protection of the family. When facing divorce an experienced family law attorney can help sort out the issues of child custody and child support, maintenance and other important issues. When you are faced with an important decision pertaining to a family relationship, call our office for a free consultation.


Child Custody

Child support is court-ordered funds to be paid by one parent to the custodial parent of a minor child after a divorce or separation. Generally the amount of child support is based on each parent's income, number and special needs of the children, and the expenses of the custodial parent. Child support may also include health insurance, school tuition or other expenses.

Child support payments are due at a certain time every month. The paying parent can make the child support payments to a central child support collection agency, which will then send the payments to the custodial parent, or can have their wages garnished meaning the child support payments may be withheld from their paycheck. In Kansas the Kansas Payment Center serves that function.

Child support laws vary from state to state. Most generally, to obtain child support, you must request an order for support from a state family court.

The court will use a set of guidelines to set the amount of child support paid if the parties are not in agreement of the amount. There are different worksheets used in the calculation depending on the custodial arrangement. The worksheets are available at the Clerk of Court.

Contact a Kansas family law lawyer representing clients in Lawrence, Kansas today to schedule your free initial consultation.

Either parent may seek a change (increase or decrease) in child support at any time if a substantial change in circumstances occurred after the court entered the order. To ask for an increase in child support, the receiving parent must be able to prove to the court that the paying parent's income has increased, specifically if the current amount of child support does not meet the child's immediate needs. Child support may also be increased due to such circumstances as medical treatment, therapy or special tutoring.

The paying parent may seek to have child support decreased under such circumstances as a reduction in income, or loss of a job. Non-custodial parents who refuse to pay their child support obligation are often termed as dead-beat parents. In 2003, the US Department of Health and Human Services estimated that 68% of child support cases had arrearages.

Although a non-custodial parent is not paying court ordered child support, the custodial parent cannot interfere in the parenting time schedule. In the same sense, the paying parent (non-custodial) cannot stop making child support payments because the custodial parent is not in compliance with court ordered parenting time schedule. These are matters that need to be addressed in court and an experienced family law attorney can assist you with these matters.

If a non-custodial parent does not pay court ordered child support, he/she can be held in contempt or prosecuted for failure to support, therefore being taken into custody and remanded to jail. Your driver's license and other licenses can be suspended. Your tax refunds can be seized. The courts have numerous options to enforce child support orders.

If the biological parents were never married, they both still owe the child financial support. In some cases, the person named as the father denies paternity and requests a DNA test. Once paternity of the child is determined, an order for child support will be entered.

Child support generally terminates when a child turns 18 (depending on state law), or graduates from high school, or becomes self-supporting.


If the parties and their lawyers fail to agree on the terms of their divorce, the case will proceed to trial and the Court will decide the case and the issues for the parties. Many times it is advantageous to negotiate a good settlement rather than let the court "decide" the issues. Many times it is advantageous to negotiate a good settlement rather than let the court "decide" the issues.

Family Law is a very complex area of the law, covering many issues, which require careful, sensitive representation to obtain an outcome that is in your best interest. If you or a loved one are dealing with an issue in this area, contact one of our experienced attorneys for assistance with your situation.

On behalf of McCULLOUGH, WAREHEIM & LaBUNKER, P.A. we hope this material will be of benefit to you in answering your questions relative to family law. Contact a divorce & child support lawyer representing clients in Lawrence, Kansas (and throughout the State of Kansas) today to schedule your initial consultation.

Our Location

Our office is a block south of the Topeka Workforce Center on SW Topeka Blvd.


Contact Details

1507 SW Topeka Blvd, Topeka, KS 66612 Phone (785) 233-2362 Fax (785) 233-0430

Email Us!